Materials Technology Wood (MTW) is one of the technology subjects offered at junior cycle. In MTW you will learn to design small projects and the skills required to use tools and equipment to make your designs. Pupils will work mainly with wood but also with other materials.
How will Materials Technology Wood be useful to me?
- You will know the correct procedures to follow when developing an idea into a finished artefact e.g. a piece of furniture or a child’s toy etc.
- You will be able to identify different trees, recognise their importance to us and our environment
- You will also have the skills to make objects from wood and know how to apply appropriate finishes to them, e.g. paint, varnish, stain or polish.
Materials Technology (Wood) is assessed at both Ordinary level and Higher level by means of a terminal examination paper and a student project.
Below is a list of some links and documents that students may find useful:
- www.examinations.ie – Download past exam papers and solutions
- www.practicalstudent.com – Solidworks models of questions and solutions.
- Brief Questionnaire
- Folder – Checklist
- MTW Portfolio
- Skillwords Woodwork